A Philosophical Point

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 28 07:08:01 EDT 2005

simplsol at aol.com writes:

> Let's not forget that many of Revolution's customers were HyperCard
> users - and many of us started x-cards with HypercCard, because it was
> free. I got my first copy free with an SE 30 I bought in 1987, have
> since bought hundreds of copies of HyperCard.
>
> This all begs the real question: what is Revolution's target market -
> now that all the "low hanging fruit" (HC & MC users) are picked?

A lot of schools are turning away from HyperStudio (not supported for the
Mac any more, support for the PC seems to be waning) and looking for a
replacement.  In fact, at NECC (National Educators Computing Conference)
our presentation is a comparison of five multi-media environments for
those looking for a HyperStudio replacement.

I think that Revolution should target this market; this may be what
they're aiming for with DreamCard.  I wish they hadn't gone with such
a different name (RevCard or something), but that's beside the point.

Now what they need to do is to become more high-profile and get some
documentation out there aimed at teachers (guess I'll have to write
that book I've been threatening to....).  Now is the time to do it;
in a year or two the education market will have settled on a new product.

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools