OT: 10.4 "Automator" = Applescript?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 26 02:21:24 EDT 2005

Todd Higgins wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Kurt Kaufman wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if Mac 10.4's "Automator" is a collection of customizable
>> pre-fab Applescripts? As the author of a few Rev utilities that use
>> Applescript, I'm wondering if Applescript will continue as before?
> Applescript will continue on strong as ever.  Automator is just a tool
> that will help people harness the power of Applescript without having to
> learn how to program.  Or so the marketing speak goes. ; > )

 From the session I attended at WWDC last year on Automator, it appears
to be merely a point-and-click way to write AppleScript, just like
interface for making scripts that you can use with Flash in leiu of
directly typing, or the point-and-click scripting found in FileMaker Pro
for years (and a bit like an old flow-chart GUI for scripting graphics
apps in UNIX called, if memory serves, AVS, with its structured inputs
and outputs).

Apple's implementation is in some ways more graceful, but the central
concept of making a point-and-click UI alternative for scripting isn't new.

Just the same, once the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field is turned up
to full volume at Tiger's release, we can expect the lay and even trade
press to momentarily forget the history of scripting environments and
declare that they've seen God.

;)

--
  Richard Gaskin