another multi-user "solution"?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Apr 24 15:56:14 EDT 2005

On 4/24/05 10:39 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> I concluded that, since Transcript
> reserves write capability for the first person to open a stack until she
> closes it, any scheme that requires concurrent update by more than one
> user meant opening and closing the data stack with each read or
> write--which I considered unacceptable overhead.  But note that all
> read-only stacks can be shared by multiple users now.

Actually, while HyperCard works that way, Revolution lets multiple users
open a stack and write to it. If two people have the stack open at the
same time, either one can overwrite the other's changes. Record locking
has to be scripted; often accomplished by writing a small text file to
disk that tracks usage.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com