another multi-user "solution"?

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Sun Apr 24 09:43:52 EDT 2005

This morning, while in the shower of course ("Mr. Kaufman, the U.N. has
decided to elect you Secretary General, on the condition that all of
your decisions regarding this institution are made whilst you are in
the shower.") I thought of another possible Rev-only solution to the
problem of allowing multiple user access to data.

Originally I had thought of two or more  "anchor" apps that would
subsequently open one of many data-record stacks.  But instead of
record-stacks, why not record-text-files? While opening a single text
file containing all of the records would effectively shut out any other
users from accessing the data, if that data was divided into separate
text files, one for each record, any number of users could work on them
(provided they were working on different records, of course).  Plus,
there would be the added advantage of easy manual correction should one
of the records become corrupted somehow.

My needs here are very basic; the records do not have to interact in
any way; I don't have to do operations on any of the records in the
aggregate (else I could see how opening many records successively would
be cumbersome).

Before I embark on this option, does anyone see any serious problems
with this method?

TIA, Kurt