mouseDown and within

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 23 12:22:58 EDT 2005

Hey Eric and others,

HELP, I am so damn close.

With the adjusted script below I can pretend to trap a mouseUp even
though the actual mouseUp handler in my script doesn't receive it.
(This is because of the mouseDown issue "bug", sort of, at least to me
it is!). Any way the check if the mouse is up works over the new
control at present and I get to hear the "mouse up" which will be
replaced later with my necessary code.

The problem now comes down to one thing.
1. The highlights don't always un-highlight and seems to be a time
related thing. I tried 50 ms, 10 ms, 1 ms, and 5 ms - If I move the
mouse around in the down state I end up with a trail of highlighted
buttons left behind. Not all of them and some times it seems like the
same ones but I can't prove that.

on mouseDown
   global theKeys, thecheck
   if the short name of the target is among the lines of theKeys then --
  if "button" is in the target then
     CheckOtherButtons -- Æ
   end if
end mouseDown
---------------------------------------
on CheckOtherButtons
   global theKeys, thecheck
   if the mouse is up then
     set the hilite of btn thecheck to false
     revspeak "mouse up" && thecheck
     put "" into thecheck
     exit CheckOtherButtons
   end if
   if thecheck is not empty then
     set the hilite of btn thecheck to false
   end if
   repeat for each line i in theKeys --with i = 1 to the number of btns
     if the mouseLoc is within the rect of btn  i  then
       set the hilite of btn i to true
       put i into thecheck
       cPreviewKey i
     end if
   end repeat
   send "CheckOtherButtons" to me in 5 milliseconds -- 50
end CheckOtherButtons