OT-Lay explanations of Unicode

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Apr 22 16:40:26 EDT 2005

For the back cover "Digital Dharma" page of the next issue of our
international magazine, Hinduism Today, I'm writing a 1/3 page article
on Unicode with a focus on fonts, now that Tiger has added Tamil to
their list of supported Unicode languages.

I need  as non-geeky an explanation as I can get without dumbing it
down so far that the information is useless.

Added boon: This might even help me me figure out what is going on
inside Revolution with Unicode, and possibly resolve some of the
mysteries (read "headaches") we're having moving text from InDesign to
raw ascii- - XML to BBEdit, to Revolution  and back again...

OF course, I will dig the web myself, but if any of you unicode wizards
can supply me (offlist) with URLs,  a layperson's description or a
reference, I would very much appreciate it.  even a few one-5 liner
metaphoric descriptions to help visualize it could be useful.

"UTF-8" and "UTF-16" means something like "Unidentified Torch
Flowers--8 of them..." to me today ... but I hope to correct this
understanding shortly. (smile)

Best from Hawaii,

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications