OT: Adobe kills Director

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Fri Apr 22 11:11:54 EDT 2005

>You know, Jesse, I COMPLETELY get it now.
>
>xTalk is the main reason why I decided to check out (and then buy a
>copy of) RR a couple of months ago.  I'm completely hooked on the
>language, which is stupid and crazy, since I've worked in
>30+languages, most of them BEFORE xTalk, and I had more-or-less given
>up on xTalk for the last 10 years.

I've been in the same situation. I could do the other stuff better
than most people but there was something about XTalk that was
unmatched.

I compared it to writing novels vs writing poetry. XTalk development
was like poetry, you do it in small chunks, in small, elegant bits
and instead marching down the timeline of a project, you could sprint
in short spurts and then get to enjoy the scenery at the same time.

>It isn't rational to like xTalk more than BASIC.  OK, no, that's so
>not true.  I'm shutting up now.  I actually was pondering writing an
>xTalk interpreter/cross-compiler earlier this year until I discovered
>RR.  With the innovations that SC brought after I gave up on it that
>were then incorporated into RR I'm glad I didn't.  Of course, RR has
>quirks in it that are extremely annoying, but with some suggestions
>from Richard, I'm hopeful that I can ultimately overcome them.

Folks used poo-poo the stuff I did in SC, saying that they could
better with all their advanced tools and superior brains, but nothing
ever came out of those projects, while I moved it from black and
white Hypercard to Hypercard with 24 bit colour using my own
externals, to SC.

While lots of things took very little code in SC, you can build very
sophisticated things with much code. Getting to enjoy Rev a bit more
and it helps when you try it out, do some stuff, back off, think a
bit before going back to it some more.

Getting into Rev isn't quite the same as SC or HC, but it isn't
difficult either.

Ultimately, I think it's because the development model better suits
the playfulness in my mind when I'm initiating a new project. It
invites the playfulness and the experimentation, very much like
messing around with your kids' Lego bricks.

Jesse