Multi-user access (was: number of substacks- practical limits)

Kurt Kaufman kkaufman at snet.net
Fri Apr 22 08:30:23 EDT 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 6:23 AM, EC wrote:

> You can open as much script windows or property palettes as you want...
> Don't you?
> To do this there are not thousands of stacks (or substacks) in the IDE.
> Think of such an architecture to solve your problem:
> Create a template substack (only one!) and clone it on the fly when
> needed :-)
> And keep your main stack as a container.

Thanks for your reply, Eric.  Upon falling asleep last night I realized
I used the wrong word; I did not really mean literally "substacks".
Perhaps I'd better explain the idea:

Two users on separate (Windows XP Pro) computers each running an
"anchor" standalone.  One of the users also has >1000 separate one-card
data stacks located on their computer.  Both users, through the
anchors, open and close the data stacks as needed. They must open
different data stacks, of course, and I'd use a file marker as
recommended in the Rev Documentation to indicate that a given data
stack was in use. In this way, both users can work with [different
records of] the data at the same time.

I need to know whether this is possible, since I'd be in effect running
[data] stacks over a Windows Workgroup PTP network.
File-size of data and speed is of secondary importance here. I already
have the data records set up as separate cards in a single stack; it
would not be difficult to divide it into separate data stacks.

I cannot configure one of the computers to run a Windows Server OS
instead of XP, so I am assuming that as a result I cannot work with
MySQL.  Or am I mistaken?

Thanks, Kurt