QT problem

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Apr 19 10:47:32 EDT 2005

On Apr 18, 2005, at 5:59 PM, Nicholas Thieberger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is really a QT problem, but I can't get them to respond X;{ so I
> am begging your indulgence.  I have an RR app that uses QT for
> accessing media, but it has lost its audio component. If I try and
> open the media file directly I get the completely unilluminating
> message "a software component needed by the movie could not be
> opened". I have reinstalled QT, I have reinstalled the Mac OS.....
>
> Any suggestions?

Nick,

Usually this problem is caused by the absence of a codec to decode one
of the tracks of the movie. See if you can find out what codecs the
movie's tracks require. Open the movie (or whatever kind of media file
you have) with QuickTime Player and do a Get Properties to look at
track properties. That should show you the name of the required codec.
Once you know that you should be able to determine whether that codec
is available for quicktime.

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University