playing video on PCs

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Apr 19 09:59:48 EDT 2005

sims wrote:

> In the list archives I found this:
>
>> Having said that, I suggest you save video in the best format/codec for
>> each platform, and select the files on the fly according to the platform
>> its running on.  For example, QT with Sorenson for MacOS, and .mpg with
>> Indeo for WinOS.  I say Indeo as it's the only codec you can rely on
>> being
>> loaded on a WinOS machine.

The advice about being able to rely on Indeo being available on all
Windows machines is incorrect (or more likely, obsolete). Since SP1
(Sept 2002) of Windows XP, Microsoft have stopped shipping the Indeo
codec; any machine bought since then does not have Indeo available. The
Microsoft site simply says "we no longer ship it" (I'm told - haven't
been and looked at that myself). The Indeo site (
http://www.ligos.com/indeo.htm ) says that it's Microsoft's decision -
and they will sell you a personal copy for $15.

We have a couple of games that depend on it, and don't work on our
current laptops, so although annoyed, I decided I'd just pay the $15 -
but I've been unable to complete the order submission; not sure if it's
a problem here or with the site.

> Can anyone else give me some advise on:

Sorry - I don't know enough to help.