Revolution and .swf

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 18 14:37:50 EDT 2005

Judy Perry wrote:

 >><http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/adobeandmacromedia.html>
 >
 > Boy, THIS almost never turns out to be a good thing.
 >
 > Remember when one or the other or both of them (along with Corel)
 > bought up a bunch of the really neat, innovative stuff that
 > MetaCreations put out? (Carrera, Canoma [I think) and a whole host
 > of others that are now dead, gone and largely forgotten?

While I have my own trepidations over this merger, FWIW Carrara is alive
and well in the hands of its original creator:
<http://www.eovia.com>

Version 4 was just released, and judging by the activity in their
support group on Yahoo it's doing rather well.

As for Macrobe, I saw the two company presidents on CNBC this morning
and it seems this is more of a long-term strategy thing than any urgent
or specific agenda, so it'll likely take at many months before we start
seeing the first hints of how this plays out in the product line.
Perhaps more than anything else it creates a new organization large
enough to accellerate Microsoft's decline.

Anti-trust concerns aside, this may not be so bad: Macromedia
understands the web in a way Adobe never did, and Adobe owns the print
market.  Ideally it should let both sets of products do what they do
best without encumbering the separate business units with other wares
that aren't bringing in good money....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation