Socket Comm Followup - Timing Out

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Apr 16 01:45:25 EDT 2005

Ken-

KR> OK, I have everything working fine now, with a timeout question:

KR> After one app finishes talking to the other, after a couple of seconds both
KR> apps register a socketTimeout... however if I come back and send data from
KR> either app, it is received properly, so should I be concerned about the
KR> timeout?

If your socket is still open and expecting more chars to come in then
you *will* get a timeout. If you've gotten your end-of-message char
then you shouldn't get a timeout. If you're not "reading until" a
delimiter char then you will probably be experiencing timeouts. I tend
to do something like (off the top of my head, not tested at all)

open socket lSock with message "SocketOpened"

on "SocketOpened"
 -- prime the socket for the first line
 read from socket lSock until cr with message "GotOneLine"
end "SocketOpened"

on GotOneLine
 -- handle parsing your buffer here --
 -- then prime the socket for more reads
 read from socket lSock until cr with message "GotOneLine"
end GotOneLine

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net