Negative numbers in option menu

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Fri Apr 15 19:51:30 EDT 2005

At 12:30 AM +0100 4/16/05, Kaveh Bazargan wrote:
>I have an option menu button containing a series of numbers for the option,
>including negative numbers. These numbers show fine when I inspect the
>"text" of the button, I see these including the negative numbers. But when
>I use the button, all the negative numbers come out as blank spaces. Can I
>use negative numbers in option menus?

A leading dash is used to create a menu separator in option menus.
(On some versions of OS X, the separator looks like a blank space.)

The simplest way to work around this is probably to put a leading
space in front of the negative numbers (or in front of all the menu
items, for consistent appearance).

If this is a Mac-only app, or if you're willing to do the bit of
extra work to deal with high-ASCII characters cross-platform, you
could instead use an n-dash (option-dash) to indicate a negative. The
n-dash doesn't create a separator.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com