Database choosing

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Apr 15 11:24:42 EDT 2005

Hi Jim,

Here < http://www.sybase.com/mac> will you find the right one witch
installs in minutes trough a cool gui under Mac OS X. As long as i did
never setup it to work with Revolution, i will not be very helpfull. I
would recommand to test the ODBC way first and the shell pipes beetwin
Rev and the Sybase ASE transactions manager, as the second.

Else, you could test PostgreSQL 8.0.1 first. If interested, have an eye
to the first class distribution packed by Mark Liyanage at
<http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/>

Best, Pierre :-)

> I went to the Sybase site and found they have a "hot deal".  Seems
> they are
> selling "Sybase Enterprise Portal Information Edition 6.1" for Linux
> and
> Windows for $99.  What does this mean?  Is this all one needs to use
> Sybase?
> Then we use the standard db interface commands with Rev?  There is a
> Linux
> and Windows version but no Mac.  We could still have a database on a
> Linux
> server and a Mac client interfacing with it, right?  Jim
>
>     on 4/14/05 6:34 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:
>
>> As Len previoulsy said there, PostgreSQL 7 and 8 are realy very great
>> ACID compliant ORDBMS and i use them as the back-ends of all my
>> "n-tier" solutions since years with a very great confidence. In about
>> dozains of megaoctets to hundreds of gigaoctets of datas peer database
>> well designed, PostgreSQL rocks. In about more heavy solutions, i
>> would
>> goes, directly, to a Sybase ASE solution instead of an Oracle one (a
>> little too java-centered for me - the linux installer included), even
>> if Oracle is, for sure, a powerfull tool and, yet, a less expensive
>> solution than it use to be until two years ago.
>>
>> It will probably be a good idea to avoid, if possible, the less
>> powerfull MS SQL-Server solution...
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Pierre
>>
>> Le 14 avr. 05, à 20:50, Oak Norton a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello all, I'm a total newbie to Revolution and I have limited
>>> programming
>>> experience.  I'm one of those people I read about in a recent post