Database choosing

Jim Carwardine JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com
Fri Apr 15 10:00:18 EDT 2005

I went to the Sybase site and found they have a "hot deal".  Seems they are
selling "Sybase Enterprise Portal Information Edition 6.1" for Linux and
Windows for $99.  What does this mean?  Is this all one needs to use Sybase?
Then we use the standard db interface commands with Rev?  There is a Linux
and Windows version but no Mac.  We could still have a database on a Linux
server and a Mac client interfacing with it, right?  Jim

    on 4/14/05 6:34 PM, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> As Len previoulsy said there, PostgreSQL 7 and 8 are realy very great
> ACID compliant ORDBMS and i use them as the back-ends of all my
> "n-tier" solutions since years with a very great confidence. In about
> dozains of megaoctets to hundreds of gigaoctets of datas peer database
> well designed, PostgreSQL rocks. In about more heavy solutions, i would
> goes, directly, to a Sybase ASE solution instead of an Oracle one (a
> little too java-centered for me - the linux installer included), even
> if Oracle is, for sure, a powerfull tool and, yet, a less expensive
> solution than it use to be until two years ago.
>
> It will probably be a good idea to avoid, if possible, the less
> powerfull MS SQL-Server solution...
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Pierre
>
> Le 14 avr. 05, à 20:50, Oak Norton a écrit :
>
>> Hello all, I'm a total newbie to Revolution and I have limited
>> programming
>> experience.  I'm one of those people I read about in a recent post that
>> needs a solution so I figure out how to program it for myself.  My
>> experience has mostly been with cold fusion and MS-SQL/Access.  I've
>> been
>> leaning toward MySQL for a cross-platform project, but from the posts
>> on
>> this board I'm just about ready to look at PostgreSQL.  I know there's
>> some
>> differences between all the SQL's but don't know much about what they
>> are.
>> In the example below I see a bit of code which illustrated that point
>> and
>> just worries me a tad because I find Access invaluable to build queries
>> quickly and test them out and if I didn't have to change the code at
>> all,
>> that would be a big plus.  So which of the sql flavors is closest to
>> MSSQL
>> and will go cross-platform?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Oak
>>

>>> It's been my experience that if you ultimately want to move
>>> to Oracle,
>>> Postgresql is a better choice than mySQL because PG tries to be as
>>> Oracle compatible as possible.  I can also tell you from
>>> experience that
>>> if you want to move to MS SQL Server later, be VERY careful
>>> about your
>>> SQL since there are lots of things that are incompatible even with
>>> "simple" SQL statements.  For example, in Oracle/Postgres you
>>> would join
>>> two fields you would use something like SELECT last_name || ', ' ||
>>> first_name whereas in MS SQL it would be SELECT last_name + ', ' +
>>> first_name (very VB like).

OYF is... Highly resourceful people working together.
<http://www.OwnYourFuture-net.com>

Own Your Future Consulting Services Limited,
1959 Upper Water Street, Suite 407, Halifax, Nova Scotia. B3J 3N2
Phone: 902-823-2339. Fax: 902-823-2139

What¹s New...

* Have you ever hired an employee who didn¹t work out?

* Did you do that on purpose?

Probably not...

If you want to greatly improve your hiring process,
     check out our new hiring process... www.HiringSmart.ca/ns
<http://www.hiringsmart.ca/ns>
                                                          and...
www.KeepingTheBest.ca/ns <http://www.keepingthebest.ca/ns>