Learning Tabbed Buttons.

Ryno Swart swartart at iafrica.com
Thu Apr 14 17:37:09 EDT 2005

The work you have all done on the tabbed button tutorial has been
exemplary and it could well establish a standard as far as Rev
documentation is concerned. Thanks to you all. I am especially
impressed by the easy and generous exchange of ideas and and tweaking.

I feel that Judy has created a superb interface with various tabbed
buttons used in such a way as to explain different levels of user
skill. I also enjoy the point by point format of the PDF. However, I do
find the scripts a bit complex for me...

All I needed to know, and without which I was lost, is this:
-------------------
Script Tabbed Button as follows (my favourite from a few):

on menuPick pCardName
    go to card pCardName
end menuPick

Group Tabbed Button, tick "Behave as a background", create extra cards.

Then name each card EXACTLY the same as the Tab Button that is to take
you to that card.
===========
This naming is critical, and it is nowhere that I could find in the
documentation. I had to figure it out myself eventually by naming my
cards "Tab 1" and "Tab 2" and seeing what would happen. I also did not
find this elegant script in the documentation, but received it from
list members. (Where, by the way, does the "pCardName come from, and
where is this "p" convention documented?)
That's it, it works, I understand all but the "p" thing, and I would
like to thank you all.

I would love to see this excellent tutorial stored in some central and
easy to find repository of tips and tutorials. It is also important not
to have too many such items in one place, because too much information
is also not good.

I must also mention the wonderful tabbed button example posted me by
Mickey.

Ryno.