How many developers in USA & Oracle question

Len Morgan len-morgan at crcom.net
Thu Apr 14 13:50:37 EDT 2005

It's been my experience that if you ultimately want to move to Oracle,
Postgresql is a better choice than mySQL because PG tries to be as
Oracle compatible as possible.  I can also tell you from experience that
if you want to move to MS SQL Server later, be VERY careful about your
SQL since there are lots of things that are incompatible even with
"simple" SQL statements.  For example, in Oracle/Postgres you would join
two fields you would use something like SELECT last_name || ', ' ||
first_name whereas in MS SQL it would be SELECT last_name + ', ' +
first_name (very VB like).

You might try installing a recent version of Postgres on your desktop
because they have recently made some terrific strides in user
friendliness especially on Windows (they now have a native Windows port!).

Len Morgan