How many developers in USA & Oracle question

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Apr 14 11:19:36 EDT 2005

Provided you stay with the subset of standard SQL supported by Oracle,
you can use any local SQL database that Rev understands for your
development work. When it comes time to deploy the project, you simply
change your (hopefully solitary) database connect statement to point to
a different database and you're done.

It really is (at least in most cases) that simple. If your app is
really complex and uses a lot of unique features in one DB or another,
then the advice doesn't hold.

On Apr 14, 2005, at 4:38 AM, Typing80wpm at aol.com wrote:

> But tell me, suppose I wanted to develop at test applications on my
> desktop
> which would ultimately be intended for Oracle as a back end.  Am I
> better  of
> trying to get some type of "personal Oracle" (if there is such a
> thing) for
> my desktop... or is there something else I should use for the desktop
> during
> testing, that would not be such a hassle to switch to Oracle once
> deployed/distributed?

Dan Shafer, Co-Chair
RevConWest '05
June 17-18, 2005, Monterey, California