More New-be Curiousity Questions

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Apr 13 08:35:57 EDT 2005

Typing80wpm at aol.com wrote:

>Thanks! That link on comparisons between Dreamcard and Revolution is just
>what I needed!
>

>Questions:

I can't properly answer any of the DB questions - but here are my
opinions on the others.

>1.) If I spend a year developing some great application in Dreamcard, then
>is moving it to Revolution simply a matter of purchasing Revolution (will the
>same source code produced run in either environment)?

Yes

>4.)  Does Revolution/Dreamcard give one a way to, lets say, present a
>dialogue similar to Explorer, choose a path, choose a file, and then open that
>WIndows file and read and write to it randomly, byte by byte?  I have  something
>in Liberty Basic which does that. Just curious if anyone in this list  uses
>Liberty Basic or has any opinions pro or con?

Yes it does. Here's a little script to totally mangle a JPEG file :-)
  answer file "What is file containing the photo ?" with "D:/Our
Documents/Alex Photos/x.jpg" with filter "JPEGs,*.jpg"
  put it into theFileName
  open file theFileName for binary update
  read from file theFileName at 100 for 4 characters
  put it into myData
  write myData to file theFileName at 200

Sorry - never used Liberty Basic.

>5.) When I download a trial version of Dreamcard or Revolution, is it ok to
>download at work, where I have a fast T1, put it on a cd, and install and
>unlock  at home (where I have slow dial-up) and then just enter the unlock key?

Yes.

>8.) When I finish developing an application, then is that entire  application
>expressed solely in the form of script files, viewable in any  editor, or are
>there some components of the application which are in some kind  of object or
>format which is not editable. I realize that if one  deploys/distributes
>applications, they are in some compiled or tokenized form so  the code remains
>proprietary. That is not what I am asking.  I am thinking  that if the final
>application is defined by editable files of coding/script,  then it is possible to
>write a program in some language to output that code,  whereas if the final
>application has template files which are not plain ascii  script, then it would
>not be easy to programatically output a script file.   I am asking this
>question mainly out of curiosity, to get a feeling for what a  finished application
>is like, in source form.

No, it's not entirely text script files. It's a stack, which includes
the scripts but also the graphical components. You could write a script
to convert one of those to text, or to read a text file and re-construct
a stack - but I find it hard to think what you would gain from it.

>9.)  Is there a data type which is fixed point penny accurate BCD type
>decimal arithematic, which would allow accurate calculations with money in a
>buisness application.
>Is there a floating point type of variable?

There is no "currency" type. There is (effectively) a floating
(double-prec) type, in that variable are typeless, and will behave like
a double-prec floating value except when they appear like integers or
strings.

>10.) I stumbled across Dreamcard/Revolution while I was searching for
>information on Python.  I had downloaded a version of Python yesterday, and  when I
>ran it, was somewhat startled to see a DOS type black window open up.

Ahhh - you wanted Pythoncard, not basic Python.

>Is  Revolution related to Python in any way?

smart-ass answer: Yes, they're both equally good, but very different.
real answer: No.

>Does Dreamcard/Revolution  development happen right in Windows, just like, e.g. Visual Basic IDE, or does  it take place in one of those black DOS Windows.

It's like VB, only even more integrated. The development environment IS
the running application environment. Most of the time, this just feels
like VB only smoother - occasionally it turns out to open up some really
powerful possibilities.

>11.) When I purchase Dreamcard/Revolution, do I receive a box with  CD,s
>and are the video training portions on a DVD, or VHS, or how  does that work?
>Just curious.

I purchased it on-line, and downloaded the program, docs, etc. Training
videos are also on-line.
There may be options to get physical CDs etc. (certainly are for paper
docs), but I think the great majority of users got it on-line.