More New-be Curiousity Questions

Typing80wpm at aol.com Typing80wpm at aol.com
Wed Apr 13 07:35:20 EDT 2005

Thanks! That link on comparisons between Dreamcard and Revolution is just
what I needed!
_http://www.runrev.com/section/platform.php_
(http://www.runrev.com/section/platform.php)

Questions:

1.) If I spend a year developing some great application in Dreamcard, then
is moving it to Revolution simply a matter of purchasing Revolution (will the
same source code produced run in either environment)?

2.) If I want to use MySQL, I am assuming that the MySQL in any of the
several WAMP (WIndows Apache MySQL PhP) installs will do the trick, or is there  a
special MySQL install I should do?

3.) If I develop an application using MySQL, using commonly available SQL
commands, and staying away from proprietary things, is it then much of a job to
switch that application to Oracle as a back end?

4.)  Does Revolution/Dreamcard give one a way to, lets say, present a
dialogue similar to Explorer, choose a path, choose a file, and then open that
WIndows file and read and write to it randomly, byte by byte?  I have  something
in Liberty Basic which does that. Just curious if anyone in this list  uses
Liberty Basic or has any opinions pro or con?

5.) When I download a trial version of Dreamcard or Revolution, is it ok to
download at work, where I have a fast T1, put it on a cd, and install and
unlock  at home (where I have slow dial-up) and then just enter the unlock key?

6.) Are there many or any people who develope applications in Dreamcard
which access the .mdb Jet Engine database used by Access (just curious), or  which
access dbf files in a Visual Foxpro application?

7.) Are there any developers who left Visual Foxpro (lets say), or Visual
Basic, and came to Revolution as a development tool, who share some of their
experieces?

8.) When I finish developing an application, then is that entire  application
expressed solely in the form of script files, viewable in any  editor, or are
there some components of the application which are in some kind  of object or
format which is not editable. I realize that if one  deploys/distributes
applications, they are in some compiled or tokenized form so  the code remains
proprietary. That is not what I am asking.  I am thinking  that if the final
application is defined by editable files of coding/script,  then it is possible to
write a program in some language to output that code,  whereas if the final
application has template files which are not plain ascii  script, then it would
not be easy to programatically output a script file.   I am asking this
question mainly out of curiosity, to get a feeling for what a  finished application
is like, in source form.

9.)  Is there a data type which is fixed point penny accurate BCD type
decimal arithematic, which would allow accurate calculations with money in a
buisness application.
Is there a floating point type of variable?

10.) I stumbled across Dreamcard/Revolution while I was searching for
information on Python.  I had downloaded a version of Python yesterday, and  when I
ran it, was somewhat startled to see a DOS type black window open up. Is
Revolution related to Python in any way?  Does Dreamcard/Revolution  development
happen right in Windows, just like, e.g. Visual Basic IDE, or does  it take
place in one of those black DOS Windows.

11.) When I purchase Dreamcard/Revolution, do I receive a box with  CD,s
and are the video training portions on a DVD, or VHS, or how  does that work?
Just curious.

Thanks for your time!