Bar codes for mailing

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Tue Apr 12 13:57:49 EDT 2005

I'm trying to cut the costs for mailing our neighborhood newsletter.
It goes to mostly to just one 5 digit zip code. So pretty simple.

So the first thing is to get the 9 digit zip code. I've writen a
program to download the 9 digit zip for a given set of address from
the USPO web site. So far the program works for most address; just a
few that the USPO doesn't recognize.

  It takes about 15 minutes to run about 360 names. It has to read one
address at time. I don't know how much of this time is a result of my
band width or the delay from the web site. I am constrained to a 58K
modem.

Of course the ultimate objective is to generate bar code. I've found
a site to get the bar code font.

Does anyone know if the bar code needs to contain something besides
the code for the 9 digit zip code?

Jim