RevSession opening issue (was RE: RunRev versus WinRar)

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Mon Apr 11 03:44:28 EDT 2005

I did find one similar bugzilla 2596 but the issue is different if not
ironical ;)

The bugzilla for the single instance rev launching requenst is 2776.

As for some programming references, I'll see what our guru says...

cheers
Xavier

On 11.04.2005 09:03:28 use-revolution-bounces wrote:
>On 4/11/05 12:20 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
>> In fact, if the combined efforts of Ken and myself are any indication,
>> it's not even simple to find out how to do it.  The best we could turn
>> up are workaround snippets from third parties; we could not turn up a
>> Microsoft recommendation for implementing single-instance apps, and the
>> issue appears to be avoided altogether in the Microsoft HIG.
>>
>> If you have a URL to a Microsoft recommendation in their code examples
>> and/or HIG please add it to your Bugzilla feature request.
>
>Here's some interesting info on multiple/single instances:
>
>Article at DeveloperFusion by Joseph Newcomer
>==============================
>I found a very good description of the problem and also how Microsoft
>chooses mistaken approaches to handle multiple instances themselves.
Here's
>the URL:
>
>http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/1716/4/
>
>That and the next 6 pages (hit "next") give you these articles:
>
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - The basic problem
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - Why FindWindow doesn't
>work
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - Send Message: Race
>Conditions
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - Shared Variable: A
>different problem
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - Generalizing the solution
>for NT
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - The source code
>Avoiding Multiple Instances of an Application - Summary
>
>Of course, this *still* isn't Microsoft's official stance on things.
>
>Article from Microsoft
>=============
>However here's an article *from* Microsoft on "How to Write an
Application
>That Supports Fast User Switching in Windows XP":
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310153/EN-US/
>
>Where you get the curious (funny!) statement:
>
>"Note that wherever possible you must ensure that Windows XP applications
>support multiple instances running simultaneously in the same or
different
>user sessions. Applications that do not allow multiple instances are not
>considered best-practice Windows XP applications."
>
>ROFLOL!
>
>Go figure!
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER