RevSession opening issue (was RE: RunRev versus WinRar)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 11 01:20:36 EDT 2005

MisterX wrote:
>>> Rev still can't open stacks normally on PCs when you double
>>> click on it's documents - the stacks or your application's
>>> stack-documents...
>>>
>>> Win32 always opens another session of Rev...
>>
>> How does this differ from Notepad or Internet Explorer?
> ...  look at how ....ALL..... other programs do open many docs
> into one app session
> UltraEdit, Photoshop, CodeWarrior, the Flash IDE, etc, etc, etc all work as
> expected... Sorry to contradict you again but it's more of a rule of thumb
> or a common sense standard, or a feature design or a programmer's choice.

Which is it?

About half the apps on my Wintel box launch into multiple instances, and
the other half into multiple instances.  The oddest of the lot was MS'
Address Book:  it opens multiple instances, but apparently maintains a
real-time connection between them, as adding records to one causes the
other to update almost instantly.

I agree it would be nice to have an option to allow Rev apps to open a
single instance when a document is double-clicked.  I couldn't find your
request for that, but I'll happily add my vote to it if you'll provide
the Bugzilla request number.

My point was simply that what Rev does is the default behavior on
Windows (and if memory serves on Linux as well).

Evidently it's possible to alter this behavior to have documents opened
in an already-running instance, but it's not a simple thing to do.

In fact, if the combined efforts of Ken and myself are any indication,
it's not even simple to find out how to do it.  The best we could turn
up are workaround snippets from third parties; we could not turn up a
Microsoft recommendation for implementing single-instance apps, and the
issue appears to be avoided altogether in the Microsoft HIG.

If you have a URL to a Microsoft recommendation in their code examples
and/or HIG please add it to your Bugzilla feature request.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation