XML and Plists

Bill bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Sun Apr 10 21:03:50 EDT 2005

I agree. I am writing a complex XML export for the Coast Guard reports and I
tried using various XML programs as well as REV XML library and it is faster
(and makes clearer output) to use string functions in REV and manually put
the whole thing together. But I am also not a good one to ask as I don't
really get the point of the whole nodes and tree things and just treat it as
data with labels instead.

On 4/10/05 5:00 PM, "Frank Leahy" <frank at backtalk.com> wrote:

> My app reads the iPhoto plist to determine where the default iPhoto
> library is, and it also reads the iPhoto xml database file.  I use
> string functions to find the particular strings that I need rather than
> using Rev's XML library.  Faster and simpler that way (to develop and
> to execute).  The only caveat is that if the XML is UTF8, you need to
> make sure you read it as UTF8 not as text.
>
> Also, if I needed to write an XML file I would do it using string
> output rather than attempting to use the Rev XML library as well.
>
> Regards,
> -- Frank Leahy
>
> Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
> See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/
>
> On Apr 10, 2005, at 5:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
> wrote:
>
>> From: Matt Denton <matt.denton at limelight.com.au>
>> Subject: XML and Plists
>> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> Has anyone had experience parsing then using Apple's PLIST XML?  I've
>> attached the DTD and spent quite a bit of time fiddling around with it,
>> however I haven't had much success navigating the tree or getting node
>> values.  I ended up ditching this and built my own simple structure.
>>
>> Has anyone created or worked with PLISTs?  Caveats?
>>
>> I'll go back and and spend some more time now that I've got a better
>> handle on the Rev XML commands (sometimes a bit finicky) however if
>> anyone has had a go and has any tips or sample code then I would much
>> appreciate it.

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\