Currency and percentage in numeric evaluation

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Apr 10 12:01:44 EDT 2005

On Apr 10, 2005, at 9:03 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I need to evaluate a large number of short strings to determine
> whether they are numeric.  Some of these are percentages, and include
> the "%", and others are currency and can contain "$". the Euro, Yen,
> or any number of other signs.

If this is an 8-bit encoding, and these are lines, then maybe you can
separate them with filter.

Do you need E notation, too?

If you need a more exact match, you might need to use a regex.

If this is unicode, you might need to process each unicode character or
make an ugly regex for your byte order.

Dar