Currency and percentage in numeric evaluation

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 10 11:03:12 EDT 2005

I need to evaluate a large number of short strings to determine whether
they are numeric.  Some of these are percentages, and include the "%",
and others are currency and can contain "$". the Euro, Yen, or any
number of other signs.

With dates we have a convenient test:  try to convert it, and if it
fails it will tell you why.

But we have no such convenience with percentages and currency.  So what
is the most efficient (heck, I'd settle for reasonable efficient) way to
determine if a string is numeric given the wide range of currency
formats in common use?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation