ARE YOU SERIOUS REV TEAM? MAJOR SCRIPT EDITOR ISSUES

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 9 19:32:38 EDT 2005

Peter Armstrong wrote:
> In the end I need to make a simple and quite serious
> decision: should we spend time and try and develop a
> project in Rev?  And into the future: should we switch
> our whole team over to Rev?

Do the one project first, then you can decide from an informed place
about the efficacy of moving the whole team. :)

> As a suggestion perhaps the Rev List could start up a
> small spec for a new script editor?

I've been asked to make the script editor from my devolution toolkit
open source. (Buried in
<http://www.fourthworld.com/products/devolution/index.html>).

My editor is forked from the one in the MC IDE, so it would take some
non-trivial work to integrate it with Rev's debugger.  And for myself,
I'd really rather find a way to move the various subwindows (e.g.,
Variable Watcher) into one window to relieve what feels like clutter to
me now, but I'm sure others feel differently and we'd have to sort out
what's best (or have multiple versions).

It'll take some work to prepare it for an open source process, but if
there's sufficient interest from people willing to do some hefty coding
I'll do the groundwork to set that up.

Provided that interest turns into actual code, this could be a first
step toward an "atomic" IDE, one in which the IDE itself is really just
a shell that holds together any number of interchangeable components....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation