ARE YOU SERIOUS REV TEAM? MAJOR SCRIPT EDITOR ISSUES

Peter Armstrong petearmstrong88 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 9 07:34:52 EDT 2005

Dear fellow Revolution Programmers.

Thank you so much for your kind help!  I must thank
you all for your positive input.  Your understanding
has helped my early frustration with this software.

I guess the main point of reference is other script
editing environments (both scripted and compiled) that
I've had to deal with over the past 16 years.  Rev has
really made me worry about the SAFETY of my code.  I'm
sitting here testing, learning, then BOOM!  Gone.
Sure I should have saved two hours ago but I was
immersed in an early newbie Rev issue, just some
simple code.  The backup was several hours of learning
ago...  This was the SINGLE point that made me churn.
I'm sorry to upset the list, not good for a newbie.

Thank you Trevor for you help running scripts
externally, I'll give that a go shortly, I know BBEdit
and that will promise more hope until the Script
Editor in the IDE is fixed properly (REV team??).  You
are very kind.

Thanks Chipp, all very helpful comments.  I'll try
patience (I was until I lost code, that hasn't
happened for years!) and perhaps try the BBEdit path.
Chipp I'm sorry but I don't feel handlers not
appearing and code disappearing is 'part of learning
how to use Rev'.  Sure I'll never try single handler
view ever again, however shouldn't this be disabled or
debugged?  Poor Dreamcard hopefuls.

Richard thanks so much for all the ROI reference.  Yes
I can see that Rev could be the tool of preference for
my team, however I can not see them scripting in the
IDE right now. Sure we can figure a way around, but
that does not seem to be the correct way, the IDE
should be the integrated environment that is supposed
to be.  I'll try and work out an optimal setup for Rev
and see if that works.

I know I'm not being flexible in my thinking --
actually I was AMAZED that Rev IDE was built in Rev,
an excellent testament to the strength of the Engine
-- but I don't usually get a huge list of User
Interface issues and bugs after just a few days
testing.  Maybe Rev IDE has expanded way too far too
fast.

Anywhere, anywhere in the IDE major bugs are
permitted, just not in the script editor.  That's all
I think.

You know I'll probably be one of the converts shortly,
once I figure out what I can trust and what I can't.
As Richard pointed out the engine is a relative known,
an old stable, so maybe that is where we look for
stability and security.

Thanks so much for helping me out, very very much
appreciated.  Funnily enough I realized that on day
four of frustrations - the frustrations with bugs not
to mention my own code - that I needed to see if
anyone else felt the same way.  Sad song I sent out
but really thought this is poor form.  I will stay off
the soap box, seems that others realize the script
editor is in need of an overhaul... thus the
alternatives.

If I think back to HyperCard, SuperCard, VB, Director,
Flash and even early Code Warrior… I can't remember my
code disappearing.  Well maybe with VideoWorks
Interactive…

So enough.  I'll keep quiet and hope that one of the
Rev team comes back with some sort of validation on
this rant.  Or maybe not.  My team of five is only a
five pack but I'm sure there are others out there that
may cross your path and find similar issues.

Rev you have an amazing engine to build on, you have
done an excellent job building a complete IDE inside
it, however if you want to compete, get the simple
things sorted first.  Don't you think?

Regards,

Peter Armstrong