ARE YOU SERIOUS REV TEAM? MAJOR SCRIPT EDITOR ISSUES

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sat Apr 9 03:11:13 EDT 2005

Hi Peter,

Welcome to Revolution. Sorry you're having so many problems. Reminds me
when I first starting trying to integreate VB scripts with the Visual
InterDev and not knowing what I was doing, got very upset...

Of the many issues you complain about, some are part of learning how to
use Rev. Sorry. As Richard says, there are other script editors out
there, but all of them come with a learning curve.

And, there are also many of us who are developing Professional
applications using the IDE you so quickly dismiss. I think a bit of
patience and perseverance may go a long way to solving your problems.
For instance, this past week I built a font rendering engine and font
editor, with full anti-aliasing support. Of course there were some
hurdles to deal with. A couple emails to support and this list helped
solve the problems. Richard's correct about the ROI, if you can get your
head around the technology (which some people have a harder time doing).

Now regarding your concerns. One thing to remember, is that unlike most
all other script platforms, the RR IDE was built entirely with
Transcript. This is a testament to just how powerful the engine is.

Peter Armstrong wrote:

> 01 Going to single handler view, closing the script
> then opening again, then back to multi-handler view
> lost ALL MY STACK SCRIPT.  EMPTY.  THEN OTHER SCRIPTS
> IN THE STACK APPEARED TO BE EMPTY TOO!  ALL EMPTY!?

I don't know about this one, as the first thing I do when I open my copy
is set it to multi-handler view. Been doing that for years, and I
haven't had the need to post in all caps about it ;-) If you're worrying
about losing data, check out my free altArchive plugin at
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altPluginCover/about.htm

> 02 Going to 'single handler' view doesn't parse the
> last handler, handler name shows but content appears
> empty.

Again, I stay primarily with the multi-handler view. So, this issue
isn't a 'deal killer' for me.

> 03 Syntax coloring doesn't work properly (not
> everything is parsed correctly) and ends up looking
> like a handful of colored balloons... I needed to
> customize colors to make any sense of this.

The colorization of scripts is something not supported by the engine, so
the RR team creates a custom property set to hold this data. Sometimes,
the set is cleared out, especially after building a standalone. I have a
  plugin altClean which removes all of these custom properties and
reduces the file sizes significantly.

I, agree, the parsing doesn't always color correctly. Try using the tab
key to help auto format. Jerry Daniels has a script editor called
'Constellation' which does a much better job. It's currently in beta and
should be released at RevCon West.

> 04 On some occasions (when a modal dialog is open, an
> error occurs?) dialog after dialog repeatedly appears
> warning that 'can't edit while executing'.  Seemed to
> appear three times?

Yep, that's a problem, you can't edit a script during execution. You
need to control-period and terminate the current script which is
running, then edit and save your script. Of course, I'm not aware of any
other language which allows you to edit the script which is currently
executing. I'm sure Andre or Dar will correct me here :-)

> 05 Pre-emptive typing seems to only parse some of the
> keyword tokens?  I can't work out what is parsed and
> what is not: functions, constants...?  For example
> 'openstack' is parsed, 'itemDel' isn't?  (Actually it
> did parse once, then it didn't the second time?)
> Don't know.

Again, not a feature I use, but you can right click on any token in your
script to open the Reference manual....though it doesn't always get it
right. There are other ref manuals out there too. Daniels and Sanke both
have one.

> 06 On another occasion all my script formatting (bold
> etc) was lost. Something happened, I opened and all my
> careful formatting was GONE.

Yep, see my comment above. Good idea not to use the formatting capability.

> 07 Windows all over the place.  I found I was
> constantly opening up the variable watcher, shuffling
> windows around (I'm on a 22 inch monitor), resizing,
> closing opening trying to see what is going on.
> Surely during development these could be organized
> properly, perhaps with variable watcher attached to
> the side or bottom of the script window with and
> expander triangle?  I found I had to constantly expand
> the width of this to see things properly.

Most of us settle into a window configuration we like. I prefer using
the application browser to the right of the revMenubar, the toolbar
along the left, my stack windows just below the revMenubar, the script
editor below that, the msg box right below the app browser, and the
variable watcher under the msg box.

Course, you're mileage may vary. Also, I set it up in Prefs under Script
Editor:

Hide Palettes OFF
Hide Message Box OFF
Hide Errors OFF

> 08 Lots of incorrect errors.  I got 'Can't find
> Handler' when in fact it was an error in the script of
> the stack handler!!  What sort of message is that!?
> Wasted time trying to work out why the message wasn’t
> being passed down the message path.

Those are engine messages, and aren't always correct. In your case, the
handler called in the script editor may not have been able to compile
correctly and so the error is thrown there. Understanding how to use the
debugger will help solve most all of these issue.

There should be a good session on using the debugger at RevCon West.

> 09 I found sending more than one parameter in a
> function call from the message box only accepted the
> first parameter.  Fine if sent from a button but no
> good if sent from message box. 2nd, 3rd etc parameters
> are ignored.

You're doing something wrong. Create a stack. put the following in the
stack script:

function concatThis p1,p2
   return p1&&p2
end concatThis

type into the msg:
put concatThis("hello","world")

you will see the result below:

hello world.

> 10 Escape doesn't close the window, it puts some weird
> symbol in the script window. The 'double-enter' to
> accept and save a script is kinda weird, why can't you
> stick to a more conforming 'save and close' system?
>
> ----------------------------

Hmmm, to me Escape is kinda weird as a 'window closer'. I guess it's all
in what you like. The reason why Apply doesn't save and close is that
for many of us, we want the script window to stay open. If you want to
apply and close, all at once, then ctrl-return will do the trick.

> After enjoying your software my confidence rating
> dropped to ZERO.

As I said, a little patience, perseverance and some politely worded
questions on the list here will go a long way.

> I know some will brand me as a 'disgruntled
> programmer',

Yep, you got that one right.

-Chipp Walters