RunRev versus WinRar

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Apr 9 00:33:44 EDT 2005

Dwayne Rothe wrote:
 > As a matter of interest I would like to point out that
 > RunRev & WinRar are using the same application extension
 > of .rev
 > This is annoying as you can't simply click on a .rev stack
 > to intiate Revolution...
 > So who really has rights to the .rev extension?
 > Are there any copyright issues e.t.c or can anyone one use
 > the same extension for their product?

The real culprit here is Microsoft, for not bothering to create a
registry for file types to be associated with specific applications.

Apple at least has a creator code registry:
<http://developer.apple.com/datatype/creatorcode.html>

But on Windows, in the absence of any guidance from the mother ship
developers are left to their own devices, hoping and praying their file
extensions don't conflict.

A few developers have taken it upon themselves to try to compensate for
Microsoft's inattention to this critical aspect of OS design,
maintaining databases of file extensions and associated apps.

One of the most popular of these is FILExt:
<http://filext.com>

Searching for "rev" there I find these apps listed there as using "rev":

  FrameMaker
  GeoWorks
  WinRAR
  Workshare Synergy

So if it's any consolation, you're not alone.

Along with security issues and anti-trust violations, it's just part of
the Windows culture.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation