BGs

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 5 14:09:07 EDT 2005

Bloody americans are all hyper and like to shorten our words as much as
possible. But then abbreviated messaging did take off in Europe for IM
and SMS, so.....

I like the story about when I went to work for Westinghouse and noticed
that they were spelling Employee as Employe and I mentioned it to them.
Well they showed me the first Dictionary where the one E version was
accepted with a letter of acceptance from the publisher. The story goes
that someone at Westinghouse decided they could somehow save a lot of
money if they didn't have to type the extra E and requested the new
version be accepted by the Dictionary publisher, AND they were
accepted. Now you would be hard pressed to find a spell checker or
dictionary where both versions are not accepted.

Of course we all know where this leads, 1984 - Orson Wells etc........

Bloody Tom McGrath

On Apr 5, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Klaus Major wrote:

> Mon dieux, now that you mention it...!!!
> Damn, the result of a higher education!
> Bloody americans :-D

Thomas J. McGrath III
SCS