BGs

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Tue Apr 5 04:47:45 EDT 2005

Hi Jeanne,

> At 1:21 PM -0700 4/3/05, Dan Shafer wrote:
>> Copying a background from one card to another *duplcates* the
>> background so that changes made to one of them will not be reflected
>> in the copy. Placing a background seems to me to at least imply that
>> the author intends for the background to be shared so that changes to
>> the background made from any card will be reflected in all other
>> cards on which the background appears. To make that happen, the group
>> must be set to behave as a background.
>
> Actually, this isn't so - a group can be shared without having its
> backgroundBehavior property set to true. Shared groups worked fine
> even before the backgroundBehavior property was added to the language.
> What backgroundBehavior does is cause shared groups to be
> automatically placed on new cards, as well as tweaking the message
> path for the group so it matches HyperCard's behavior more closely.

EXACTLY! That's what i meant...

:-)

> (My only excuse for not documenting that "place" turns on
> backgroundBehavior

AHA!!!! OK, once i know, it is not harmful anymore :-)

> is that no one told me about the change, and I didn't stumble across
> it on my own when the property was added. If I had been told about it,
> I would have argued that it was a bug, not a feature. Commands
> shouldn't spew side effects like that, even if they're documented. As
> it is, apparently if you want a shared group whose backgroundBehavior
> property is false, you need to remember to reset the property after
> every time you place the group on a card.)

But "set the backgroundbehaviour of grp xyz to false" does NOT work
after placing that group onto a card,
and that might be a bug?

In my case i want to loop though a textfile, create cards and place
DIFFERENT bgs (with NO bgbeh.)
onto the cards according to the current "record"...

> The whole situation with backgroundBehavior is confusing.

Yo, took me quite a long time to understand, but now is it pretty
logical to me ;-)

> It was added in order to better emulate HyperCard backgrounds, which
> it does, but there were collateral changes (for example, changes to
> what "the backgroundNames" means) that resulted in, IMHO, a mess.
> --
> jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
> http://www.jaedworks.com

Regards