How to get the difference between two lists?

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Mon Apr 4 17:27:36 EDT 2005

I'm sure all of this is application specific, but generally speaking if
you are pulling data from MySQL and _then_ sorting it in Transcript
faster than in-database, there is probably something non-optimal about
the database schema or queries. Generally speaking, when I'm working on
a web application that needs to handle a lot of hits, it's a huge red
flag if I have to post-sort anything out of the database. That's not to
say Rev can't take the wheel and do a pretty good job (kudos to Rev),
but I can't remember an instance where I couldn't make more of an
impact working on the database side of things.

With that said, if it's a factor of needing to do _other_ things in Rev
at the same time, programming efficiency, etc- then it's a perfectly
fine solution.

I would be shocked to find that Rev is better optimized for sorting
than MySQL in any general sense. I'm wondering if it's worth pulling
out any more specifics that someone can share about their table
structures, queries, etc?

Please note I don't mean that sorting should literally be offloaded
back to the database- but that there is almost always a fast way to get
it that way in the first place, especially if we're just dealing with
recID lookups and sorts.

- Brian