Shrinking Mac stack

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Apr 4 16:42:35 EDT 2005

Hi Jacque,

Hope this helps:

(from an earlier post:)

For those of you who've come lately to this, the problem was simple. How
to add menus for both Mac and PC to an existing stack *without* ever
resizing the existing stack.

As you all probably know, the minute you add a menu to a stack, it's
height is recalculated whenever it opens on a different platform. The
reason is that the menubar is 'on the card' for the PC, but at the top
of the screen for the Mac. So, when viewing the stack on the Mac, the
stack is automatically reduced in height by the amount of the menubar
(thus screwing up my carefully rendered screen layout;-).

bummer, especially if you don't want this behavior.

So, Richard's idea was pretty straightforward:

set the editmenu property of the stack to true
hide the menu group

So, here's how it works: When the stack is opened up on the Mac, because
the editmenu prop is true, the menus appear at the top of the card and
not in the menubar. But a little known fact (only Richard knows it
apparently as it's not documented) is that the menus will appear in the
menubar if the menuGrp is hidden! So, just hide the group and then show
it if the platform is Win32.

Works like a charm...and no resizing of the stack whatsoever.

Cool, and thanks Richard!

-Chipp