Python and Rev

Joel Guillod joel.guillod at net2000.ch
Mon Apr 4 12:15:07 EDT 2005

> Anybody familiar with Ruby or WideStudio?

Personnaly I use Eclipse + PyDev + Ant + wxDesigner for GUI (I am
trying it currently) + wxPython (i.e. a wrapper for the wxWidgets as
the multiplatform GUI). At first a bit more complex than Revolution or
RealBasic IDE but opensource, much more reliable and quick fixes by the
wide developers' community, object oriented with more complex data
structures and many important modules ready to use (xslt, database,
sockets, easy C/C++ externals, ...). Like others I will probably keep
Rev for some programming but the most important - and the most
difficult - is to use the right tool for the right thing...!

> Rev allows AppleScript via the "do ... as AppleScript" command.
> Perhaps this could be extended to support things like
>
> do ... as Python
> do ...

Why not? But under MacOSX 3.x you just have to run the following script:

   put "print 'hello'" into thePythonScript
   put shell("python -c " &quote& thePythonScript & quote)

(also similar for ruby...).