The Campain Trail

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 1 11:46:40 EST 2005

Derek Bump wrote:
> Imagine if you could create your own "lookAndFeel" types (otherwise
> known as Skins).  This would be a HUGE advantage.  You could make your
> own buttons, fields, menus, whatever.  All in all, giving you the
> ability to make a user experience that much more interesting.

What's stopping anyone from doing this right now?

Altering the rendering routines would be a lot of work, and ultimately
be very difficult for developers to use.  That's why Apple and most
others who offer skins and themes do so with a much simpler mechanism
based on applying images to define the appearance of controls and even
the window itself.

Elements already under complete control by Rev developers:
- Window shapes using images
- Button appearances using images
- Fill and fore color and patterns for controls and the card

Take a good look at the Apple spec for skinning QT and you may be
inspired to adopt some of that for making your own skin spec.
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/overview/media_skins.html>

I'm making one for WebMerge and a couple other apps I'm working on....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation