launch ?

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 1 10:11:49 EST 2005

Hello to the list,

I have another question. The command below for opening a folder works
with quotes best. The launch "app" works with out the qoutes. But the
launch 'file' does not work at all until I put the with " .app" which I
didn't want to do.

Any ideas how to force a document/file to open in the users default app
with out knowing before hand what the doc/file type is???

on mouseUp
   put the cMyAlias of the target into myAlias -- added quotes???? long
folder names
   put the cmyFolder of the target into gmyFolder
   if myAlias is not empty then
     switch gmyFolder -- this global needs stored for each instance -
not done yet
     case "folder" -- than it is a folder to be opened (but not always
true - need to fix)
       put quote & (the cMyAlias of the target) & quote into myAlias
       stsOpenFolder myAlias  - - 	Ken Ray's function which does open
folders - need to test on windows
       exit switch
     case "app" -- than it is an app to be launched (not always true -
need to fix)
       launch myAlias -- only works if it is an application(OSX) with
out quotes -- need to try on windows
       exit switch
     case "file"
       --put quote & (the cMyAlias of the target) & quote into myAlias
-- does not work
       launch myAlias with "/Applications/Preview.app" -- check how to
do files for this
       exit switch
     end switch
   end if