[OT] Wireless remote events? - resolved

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 29 14:45:58 EDT 2004

Richard Gaskin wrote:
> I picked up a Kensington Wireless Presentation Remote today in hopes of
> using it when presenting at Rev seminars like <http://techietours.com>.
>
> But while Kensington normally makes pretty good stuff, the manual only
> says "Works with most presentation software like PowerPoint and
> Keynote", and it doesn't say what events it's sending.  Since I make my
> own presentations in Rev I need to know what events it uses so I can
> write handlers for them.
>
> Here's the weird part:
>
> I made a fresh stack and put in rawKeyDown, rawKeyUp, appleEvent,
> arrowKey, functionKey, keyDown and keyUp handlers -- none of them get
> triggered when I try using the wireless device.

Don't know why (probably just user error here), but today I tried
rawKeyDown again and it works.  Kinda fun. So it's really easy to write
apps that support standard wireless presentation devices -

Here's how the buttons match up to their keyboard equivalents on the
Kensington model:

                            laser pointer
                              /

                            [*]

    rawKeyDown 65365 -  [<]     [>] - rawKeyDown 65366
    Key: Page Down                    Key: Page Up
    Action: Previous Slide  [.]       Action: Next Slide

                              \
                           rawKeyDown 98
                           Key: "b"
                           Action: Blank Screen

Kensington says these are the "standard" controls that drive
presentation apps, including Keynote and PowerPoint.   It's nice to see
reasonable conventions universally applied.  Given all the hardware out
there that supports these it may be useful to adopt them in your own
software if you're making a presentation tool.

With so many Rev conferences this year I keep daydreaming that someone
will start an open source presentation tool and runtime library in
Transcript.  Any chance we could toss one together in time to make all
of our presentations for Malta? :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation