PostgreSQL OID Column on INSERT

Hershel Fisch hershrev at realtorsgroup.us
Tue Sep 28 16:01:47 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, September 28, 2004, at 03:38 PM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> A while back I stumbled on a prior thread with this same question, but
> I never did see a resolution to the root question.
>
> When PostgreSQL performs an INSERT, it returns a unique OID number for
> the inserted row.  Is there any way to retrieve the OID value returned
> by the INSERT statement from RevDB?
>
> In my case, the other values, even in combination, are not guaranteed
> unique -- except one, which is autogenerated by the database (a SERIAL
> number), so there is no other way for me to be certain of grabbing the
> exact record I just inserted, something I need to be able to do.
In order to have a unique u need to create the table like this,
"CREATE TABLE  table1 (  pk SERIAL, fld1 TYPE (???))" , the pk column
will produce a unique serial number. now if you use
(currval('tableName_fldName_seq')) it will give you your current serial
number or your connection.

put revDataFromQuery(,,connectionId,"SELECT currval
('table1_fld1_pk_seq')")

revdb_execute(connectionId,"INSERT INTO table1 (or into any table)
(fk,fld1,fld2,) VALUES (currval
('tableName_fieldName_seq'),'fld1','fld2')")

Hershel Fisch