Connecting to Valentina using revdb_connect

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 14:40:32 EDT 2004

--- Gordon Tillman <got at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering if some kind soul might enlighten me
> on a couple of
> points...
>
> I'm running the latest RR 2.5 build, with a Studio
> license (for both
> Mac and Windows platforms).
>

> First Item:
>
> If I try to connect to a Valentina database using
> the revdb_connect
> function from my stack while running in the RR
> development environment,
> I get the error message "revdberr, invalid database
> type".
>
> But if I go ahead and create a stand-alone
> application, it works just
> fine.
>
> I tried using the revSetDatabaseDriverPath to each
> of the following
> values in turn (when running in the development
> environment on Mac OS
> X) and it didn't help:
>
> /Applications/Revolution 2.5/components
> /Applications/Revolution 2.5/components/global
> environment
> /Applications/Revolution 2.5/components/global
> environment/database_drivers
> /Applications/Revolution 2.5/components/global
> environment/database_drivers/MacOSX
> /Applications/Revolution 2.5/components/global
> environment/database_drivers/MacOSX/VXCMD_macho

The good news you have for us is that it does run fine
in a standalone, which would suggest that something is
amiss in the way Rev was bundled up for distribution.

Please bugzilla this so the RunRev team can
investigate and fix it.

> Second Item:
>
> It seems like you have to connect to a pre-existing
> Valentina file, one
> that was created with the Valentina application.  Is
> there any way to
> have the RR application create one "on the fly" if
> it doesn't exist.

No, there isn't -- a design decision made by Paradigma
Software. What you _can_ do, however, is make an empty
database, read it as a binfile and put it into a
custyom property, which you can then use as a template
to create a new database file.

> Many thanks!
>
> Gordon Tillman

Hope this helped,