Can't read text from file on OS 9

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Sep 28 08:09:07 EDT 2004

>On 9/24/04 6:47 AM, Robert Brenstein wrote:
>
>>>  I don't have an OS 9 machine to check right now, but maybe someone
>>>  else can. If I remember right, OS 9 will return a path something like
>>>  this:
>>>
>>>    Hard Disk/AppFolder/Folder/file.rev
>>>
>>>  The Classic engine returns this path:
>>>
>>>    /Hard Disk/Folder/Folder/file.rev
>>>
>>>  The OS X engine returns this path:
>>>
>>>    /Folder/Folder/file.rev
>>>
>>>  If I'm right about the OS 9 path, then checking for a leading "/"
>>>  would seem to do it. But someone with native OS 9 should check to make
>>>  sure. My husband is playing solitaire on our machine and family
>>>  harmony forbids interference. ;)
>>>
>>>  --
>>>  Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>>>  HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com
>>

>>  Just checked that OS9 returns the leading slash just as Classic does.
>
>Oh well. It was a nice thought while it lasted. Does Andre's
>suggestion about checking the prefs folder work?
>
>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Ken's post on another thread just gave me another idea to try to
differentiate between native OS9 and Classic. Ken's script:

function isAppRunning pAppname
     replace ".app" with "" in pAppName
     put "tell application " & q("Finder") & cr & "return the processes" & \
       cr & "end tell" into tAS
     do tAS as AppleScript
     put the result into tProcs
     return (offset("process" && q(pAppName),tProcs) <> 0)
end isAppRunning

I am pretty sure that there is always some process running under OSX
that is not running under OS9. The question is whether this function
will return only OS9-specific processes under Classic or all, classic
and osx, processes. Can't check at the moment, though.

Robert