Prototype or production?

VHD vhd at vhd.com.au
Mon Sep 27 12:22:35 EDT 2004

>VHD wrote:
>
> >>Prototypes? Well usually you prototype an application in RunRev
> >>and this one becomes the final version in most cases.
> >

> > OK this is was I thought, but wanted to make sure. (Perhaps
> > they should remove the word "prototype" from their marketing
> > material as it is a bit confusing.)
>
>Great feedback.  Sometimes we don't see the forest for the trees:  I'd
>never noticed the prominence of "prototype" in their marketing, but now
>that you mention it I see that the first line about Rev at their site is:
>
>     Prototype & design using rapid-build tools
>
>That does indeed imply a design-time solution only, and may -- as it did
>for you -- give the impression that final implementation and deployment
>must take place in another tool.
>
>While Rev is sometimes used just for prototyping, most of the time it's
>used for all aspects of the development cycle.
>
>Hopefully the folks at RunRev will seize this opportunity to fine-tune
>the copy at the site to better emphasize the breadth of the product's
>capabilities.

On the subject of marketing, I am amazed that I have never heard of runrev before! (and I spend a fair bit of time reading various news tech sites.)
I "stumbled" on runrev reading comments some people made on perl.com about using runrev for GUI applications.

The sceptic in me is wondering why runrev is not mentioned more frequently on the tech sites I frequent. If it is as good as it claims (which I tend to believe after spending a lot of time researching), why aren't more people using and talking about this product?

I think that it may be (partly) due to its "mac" background and is therefore not taken seriously by windows, developers...?

Would be interested to know what your thoughts are on this?

Being a marketing consultant myself (who enjoys programming too) I wonder whether they could not use a different tack to significantly increase their market share.

Cheers,

Ben