Database - lists - 1st day

VHD vhd at vhd.com.au
Mon Sep 27 08:16:30 EDT 2004

Hi,

I am primarily interested in revolution to quickly build front ends with.

I downloaded a trial version and started using the program. I looked through the tutorials and found an example on using revolution with mySQL. I read the pdf file and designed something similar from scratch very quickly using the query builder. I must say that I was impressed with the ease and speed a front end could be made, but things got worse as I went along.
(BTW: I figured that you have to select the "cache" option in the query builder for things to work properly. Then again I think writing the queries from scratch in transcript is probably the better (more stable) approach.)

The biggest problem I had was with the list widget that seemed to duplicate its content whenever I started using it. (is this a bug?)

I then looked for another list (or grid) control on the palette but couldn't find any. I was surprised that the only list control is very basic and does not *seem* to offer:
1) headers
2) sorting of columns
3) hierarchical display
4) embedding radio buttons, or tick boxes inside a cell

Am I mistaken? I am still trying to learn as much as I can, and since all this is new to me, I may have missed something.

Now I am not quite sure what to think... I can see that revolution can build GUIs very quickly, but does it work well as a database front end for production, multi-user applications?

If it does, where is the thorough documentation?

BTW is there something like vbaccelerator Sgrid2 for revolution? http://www.vbaccelerator.com/home/VB/Code/Controls/S_Grid_2/S_Grid_2/article.asp

Thanks,

Ben