How to search this mailing list?

VHD vhd at vhd.com.au
Mon Sep 27 06:37:51 EDT 2004

Hi,

<QUOTE>
You'll quickly discover the mailing list isn't so user friendly; there are lots of complaints about it. For example, when the sort by date option is used, you'll discover many posts seem out of order. This is becasue the list somehow uses a strange method to determine the date, rather than using the date stamp of the post itself.
</QUOTE>

Yes I have noticed that already. (There might be a solution, which I explain below.)

<QUOTE>
Also, the way it decides on posts belonging to a thread is often incorrect.

These are just a couple of the quirks that make it less enjoyable to work with. Many people want a forum, but enough vocal people are still on dial-up that has resulted in no change.
</QUOTE>

It wouldn't be too difficult to customize a forum to send an email to the user list whenever a new post was made. This way they could still receive emails as they usually do. Replies to emails could also be processed and stored in the forum database as well (the emails would have to be intercepted and processed.). (Couldn't this be done using runrev itself with mailman/python?)

On another note:
I have thought of getting the list archives and storing them in a database (properly sorted etc...) so that I can search them more effectively. (seems that there is a lot of knowledge in them.).

Along these lines the database could be on a web host and accessed by everybody using a runrev GUI ! (i.e. Have a forum without the need for a web browser. Actually this would be a very neat show case of runrevs capabilities (if it can actually do it.)) ... Any one interested in starting a project?

Cheers,

Ben

P.S: BTW I am on dial up too and have no problems using a "normal" forum.