CGI's and processing requests in order

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Fri Sep 24 13:16:31 EDT 2004

Hello everyone,

In processing CGI requests, I understand that Revolution creates an
instance of itself in memory for each request.  I'm guessing that
because of this, it may be possible for two or more clients to be
accessing a text file almost simultaneously and create an update
anomaly if they both share information and have privileges to edit it.
It's the situation where I need information that you can change and you
need information that I can change and you may change it to something
else when I'm still looking at the old stuff perhaps making the wrong
decision because of this.

I'm curious to know what you think of a rough and ready way to queue
processing by having the CGI's access a file with a variable that is
either "busy" or "not busy".  The first request being processed sets it
to "busy".  If another client submits a request and the variable comes
up "busy", their page will be refreshed, perhaps with a brief message,
although it's probably not necessary given Rev's processing speed, and
when the variable is set back to "not busy", the next client is
processed.  Sound reasonable, or is it too clunky?

	Greg