[OT] PAD files, MacPAD, and you

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 22 16:22:46 EDT 2004

Frank Leahy wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2004, at 3:59 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:
>
>> From: "Monte Goulding" <monte at sweattechnologies.com>
>> Subject: RE: [OT] PAD files, MacPAD, and you
>> To: "How to use Revolution" <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>

>>> enhancement??

>>> So you are suggesting that some of us should get involved with the
>>> PAD project and submit enhancements to accomodate Macs and
>>> multiplatform deployment, right?
>>

>> I've been poking around the news group and I can't see such a discussion
>> occuring. What's the subject of the thread?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Monte
>

> Richard,
>
> I downloaded MacPADEdit 1.0 from the web, and it had checkboxes for all
> sorts of release platforms -- Windows, Linux, BSD, Mac OS, Mac OS X,
> etc. -- and I was able to generate a PAD file that showed my product as
> being released on Windows XP/2000 and Mac OS X.
>
> What issue are you having with the PAD format?

The question is what issues do the MacPAD folks have with PAD.  My only
question is about the unnecessary duplication of effort and potential
marginalization of the Mac by encouraging use of a new format over the
long standing and widely-used PAD format.

Ricard Batista, creator of the MacPAD format, is a very smart fella, so
I'm sure he can articulate what he feels are weaknesses in the existing
PAD standard.  I've encouraged him to participate in the discussion at
the PAD newsgroup, and look forward to seeing his posts there.