No Disk error & MountedDisks

Jay Madren JaysLists at triad.rr.com
Tue Sep 21 12:14:58 EDT 2004

Using the dir command from the command prompt (shell) will not cause a popup
error, it will only return an error message in the command window.  So you
could build a list of valid drives with something like this:

  set the hideConsoleWindows to true
  put empty into fld ValidDrives
  repeat for each char x in "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
    put shell("dir " & x & ":\") into output
    if output contains "The device is not ready" \
    or output contains "The system cannot find the path" \
    or output contains "path was not found" then
      next repeat
    else
      put x & ":" & return after fld ValidDrives
    end if
  end repeat

Note that if you have a lot of mapped drives or other drives that are slow
to respond, this may take more than a couple of seconds.  Of course, you
could limit which drives you are going to test.  For instance, the usually
floppy drives A: and B: will take the longest.

Also note that this, as written, only works on NT/2K/XP.  Win9x also returns
a command-prompt-only error, but it's a different error and it waits for a
response (Abort, Retry, etc.).  So you'll probably have to use process
instead of shell so you can respond to the error, or maybe just kill the
process.  I have access to a Win98 machine if you need the error messages,
or to test some code, but it'll have to be a standalone because Rev is not
installed on that machine.

Hope this helps,
Jay Madren