how Revolution did in programming contest: 82nd percentile

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Sep 20 22:41:48 EDT 2004

The results are in!

    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/proj/plclub/contest//index.php

Back in June my son and I entered a programming contest.  He was a
strategist and I did the Transcript programming.

We got a very late start, but had a world simulator going for the
lightning division written in Revolution.  We created an ant brain by
hand on a big sheet of paper and keyed that in.  Our two entries placed
57 and 58 out of 87 entries in the lightning division, pretty good for
starting almost half way though the lightning division's 24 hours.
Notice that most of the teams did not have an entry for the lightning
division; only 52 out of 230 teams had an entry ready for the lightning
division.  Only a dozen languages were represented.

We did well for the main division.  For the main division, we cleaned
up the world simulator and created an ant-brain compiler using
Revolution.  As we approached the end (just three hours to go) we had
some cool ideas but I wimped out and entered what we had, thinking we
were going to crash (we people).  I now think we should have done it.
Also, that would have exploited some Transcript features.  (For some
reason the "ant [brain] size" is wrong for our entries on the web
pages; I think we generated files that the competition player liked,
but the line counter did not.  Too long of comments, I guess.)  We came
in 65th out of 361.  We were allowed to enter two, and we threw in an
older ugly one, but it didn't do as well.

Ours was the only entry in any Xtalk.

The prize winners' languages were 1) Objective Caml, 2) a mix of Java,
C++, Perl & M4, 3) Haskell and 4) C++.

In the main division we beat all the Basic, Pascal, Erlang, Smalltalk
and tcl entries as well as others.  That may not say much; they had few
entries.

We beat most of the Objective C, Perl, Python, Lisp, Scheme, ML, Ruby,
Haskell, Java, C-variant* entries.

Our team was smaller than most teams up where we placed, so we are
pleased.

Dar

* C++, C, D and C# taken as a whole