sql server redux

Mark D. Clark markclark at mac.com
Mon Sep 20 14:58:41 EDT 2004

"Won't a transaction with appropriate serialization give you the same
result, but without interrupting other users' ability to access the
database during the snapshot process?"

Okay, this is where my nearly perfect ignorance comes to play--I don't
really understand how a transaction with appropriate serialization
would work for a snapshot. If other users are able to access the
database, then the files are open, things are in a cache, and the
snapshot won't be good for backup purposes--unless there is something
here I'm missing (entirely possible!)

I thought that the actual server itself needs to be paused to do a good
snap--much the same as in a backup scenario, just not taking quite so
long (less than one second).

---