Director shortcomings; Rev/altBrowser the solution?

Van Esch, Stephen (Bolton) svanesch at husky.ca
Mon Sep 20 11:38:33 EDT 2004

JB:

>Before answering your question, I guess a few more details
are needed. Especially, I don't really understand why you
need to embed a browser within a Director window ...

Considering the amount of formatting required for the text and the length of
the text documents (scrolling will definitely be required), the only ideal
solution I can see is HTML/XHTML. While Director and Flash do have some text
formatting and XML capabilities, I can't see either of them even coming
close to what we can do with XHTML. Note that formatting includes tables
with various cell colours, a dozen heading and paragraph styles (don't ask),
graphics, and captions layered on top of graphics (not embedded in the
graphic).

>...and where does the HTML file comes from ? Is the HTML code generated on
the fly from the XML, and is the browser window used to navigate between
successive screens, or different frames of the Director stage?

Yes the HTML will be generated on the fly from the XML file. A static page
will be generated when the user clicks a link or selects an option on the
Rev/Director interface (this page will automatically update when we update
the XML file). A dynamic XHTML page based on XML data will also be generated
when the user does a search.

The browser window will not include any controls. Links will allow users to
jump from one page to another (between sections, for example).

A lot of the functionality will depend on what the technology can do so we
may want the ability to pass information from the browser window to Rev or
Director. Not sure about that, though.

Thanks!

Steve

> Folks:
>
> Here (according to our Director developer) is the rundown on where
Director